Do You Realize…
If you commit fraud to obtain assisted housing from HUD, you could be:
-Evicted from your apartment or house.
-Required to repay all overpaid rental assistance you received.
-Fined up to $10,000.
-Imprisoned for up to five years.
-Prohibited from receiving future assistance.
-Subject to State and local government penalties.

Do you Know…
Your are committing fraud if you signed a form knowing that you provided false or misleading information.

The information you provide on housing assistance application and re-certification forms will be checked. The local housing agency, HUD, and the Office of Inspector General will check the income and asset information you provide with the Federal State, or local governments and with private agencies. Certifying false information is fraud.

So Be Careful!
When you fill out your application and yearly re-certification for assisted housing from HUD make sure your answers to the questions are accurate and honest. You Must include:
-All sources of income and changes in income you or any members of your household receive, such as wages, welfare payments, social security and veteran’s benefits, pensions, retirement, etc.
-Any money you receive on behalf of your children, such as child support, AFDC payments, social security for children, etc.
-Any increase, such as wages from a new job or an expected pay raise or bonus.
-All assets, such as bank accounts, savings bonds, certificates of deposit, stocks, real estate, etc, that are owned by you or any member of your household.
-All income form assets, such as interest form savings and checking accounts, stock dividends, etc.
-Any business or asset (your home) that you sold in the last two years at less than full value.
-The names of everyone, adults or children, relatives and non-relative, who are living with you and make up your household.
-(Important Notice for Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Rita Evacuees: HUD’s reporting requirements may be temporarily waived or suspended because of your circumstances. Contact the local housing agency before you complete the housing assistance application.)

Ask Questions
If you don’t understand something on the application or re-certification forms, always ask questions. It’s better to be safe than sorry.

Watch Out for Housing Assistance Scams!
-Don’t pay money to have someone fill out housing assistance applications and re-certifications forms for you.
-Don’t pay money to move up on a waiting list.
-Don’t pay for anything that is not covered by your lease.
-Get a receipt for any money you pay.
-Get a written explanation if you are required to pay anything other than the rent (maintenance or utility charges.)

Report Fraud
If you know anyone who provided false information on a HUD housing assistance application or re-certification or if anyone tells you to provide false information, report that person to the HUD Office of Inspector General Hotline. You can call the Hotline toll-free Monday through Friday , from 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Eastern Time at 1-800-347-3755. You can fax information to (202) 708-4829 or email to the You can write the Hotline at:

HUD OIG Hotline, GFI
451 7th Street SW
Washington DC 20410
form HUD-1141